July 12, 2024
NewsPlus

Coronavirus Is Global Pandemic Says, WHO

…As Lagos Isolates Family, Others

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared coronavirus (COVID-19) global pandemic ending weeks of speculations over whether or not it constituted one.

With this declaration, the WHO has urged world leaders to take more decisive actions to stem the spread of the disease which has so far spread to 100 countries killing 4,300 people.

Addressing Newsmen, Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus,”We expect to see the number of cases, the number of deaths and the number of affected countries, climb, even higher.

Nigeria which reported the first Coronavirus case on February 27 imported through an Italian businessman in Lagos announced Wednesday, March 11 that six more people including a family of four and a Teacher are being isolated.

Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Professor Akin Abayomi said, the family comprising four children and their teacher, recently returned from the United States of America and are being suspected for COVID-19.

He disclosed in a press briefing updating on the situation of Coronavirus in the country that another man who recently returned from the UK is also under isolation suspected at the Mainland Hospital suspected of the disease.

” His samples have been collected and sent to the Laboratory for testing to determine his status”, said Abayomi.

According to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University, the Coronavirus pandemic now includes over 121,000 cases in more than 100 countries — including at least 1,000 cases in the U.S. with more than 4,300 deaths.

However, while the first sample test carried out on the family of four and their Teacher is negative, the index case is said to be responding to treatment and has not shown any new infection

Abayomi explained that though the first test carried out on them was negative, a confirmation tests will still be repeated to determine the next point of action.

On the three suspected persons from France, England and China who had earlier been in isolation at the Mainland Hospital tested negative and have been discharged.

 

He explained that the index case is responding well to treatment adding that his viral load is going down significantly with no symptoms exhibited. He however stated that he cannot be released into the community now until the virus is undetectable and cannot infect others.

 “The index case is gradually recovering but we need to carry out more tests on him just to be sure of his status and if the virus is undetectable, we will repeat the test a few more times and discharge him afterwards”, he said.

 The second confirmed case, Abayomi noted is doing well with no major symptoms but only exhibits minor aches and pains.

However, more tests are expected to be conducted on him based on the prevailing circumstances.

 “We have given him drugs to slow down the virus and we hope his immune system will resist the virus and we will continue to keep him until he is no longer contagious,” he said.

 The Commissioner told newsmen that the two passengers on the Turkish Airline who could not earlier be  traced because of wrong information have now been found within 24 hours when their names were published by the media adding that the State have already gotten in touch with them.

 He advised the members of the public to continue observing both environmental and personal hygiene by washing their hands regularly with soap and clean running water as well as keep their environment very clean.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *